Art at the Heart of the RUH
An art and design programme in an acute health care setting.
Milsom Place is proud to support the valuable work of Art at the Heart of the RUH.
The Royal United Hospital is an institution that touches the lives of many in and around Bath.
Art at the Heart brings together the wealth of artistic talent found in the area with an art and design programme that stimulates healing and well-being and creates an uplifting environment for patients, visitors and staff.
They favour a non-institutional, patient-centred approach which reaches on average 200,000 people per year through exhibitions, workshops, performances and design.
What does Art at the Heart do?
• Provides the RUH with Bath’s largest and most accessible gallery space, open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
• Hosts patient-led art workshops run by their Artist in Residence on the Children’s and Older Patient Wards.
• Delivers a professional live public music programme.
• Hosts creative reminiscence workshops based on the Older Patient Wards.
• Oversees a fully inclusive music service run by their Musician in Residence.
• Integrates artworks and design into new builds and refurbishments.
What impact do they have?
Art at the Heart is always creating new opportunities for patients, visitors and staff to experience and participate in the arts. Good healthcare delivered alongside stimulating art and environmental design can have a significant effect on medical outcomes.
It has been proven to:
• Reduce stress and anxiety.
• Reduce pain.
• Improve sleep quality.
• Lower infection control.
• Improve patient and staff satisfaction as well as self-esteem.
• Reduce costs by supporting clinical staff.